AnAqSim Instructional Series: Exercise Set 15
AnAqSim and PEST
AnAqSim provides built-in tools for manual “trial and error” model calibration. Linking AnAqSim with the public domain PEST software creates a system for automated model calibration that takes the use of AnAqSim to the next level. AnAqSim is especially well-suited for PEST parameter estimation because of the general simple and gridless construction of the models, spatial accuracy provided by the analytic element solution technique, and computational efficiency in a method that requires scores or hundreds of iterative model runs to arrive at the final set of parameter values. This set of exercises begins with an overview of PEST with respect to its linking with AnAqSIm. It then demonstrates the use of PEST to evaluate the uncertainty associated with selected model input parameters for a steady-state watershed model and a transient aquifer test model. The examples demonstrate the potential use of AnAqSim with PEST to guide field data collection and groundwater flow model calibration.
Topics covered in the Set 15 Exercise Package include:
- An overview of PEST (with respect to its linking with AnAqSIm)
- Steady-state calibration of a simple site model with three aquifer zones
- Steady-state calibration of a simple site model with three aquifer zones and a stream
- Transient calibration of a transient pumping model of a regional aquifer to estimate aquifer hydraulic conductivity and storage
- Transient calibration of a transient pumping model of a regional aquifer with a zone of channel sand deposits to estimate hydraulic conductivity and storage properties for both the aquifer and the channel sands
The Set 15 Exercise Package contains instructional lessons, any necessary modeling input files, basemaps, etc; and a set of step-by-step completed AnAqSim files that you can load at any point if you want to check one of the exercise steps – everything you need to continue learning groundwater modeling using AnAqSim!
If you have any questions as you work your way through the training materials, be sure to search our Blog for more information or to post a comment or question. Or, visit our Contact page to send us a question directly.
It's time to take the next step to becoming a superior groundwater modeler – with our flexAEM AnAqSim Instructional Series Set 15 Exercise Package!
To obtain a copy of AnAqSim, visit www.anaqsim.com